What's the Name of the Game?

Thursday, July 21, 2005

I'm Not Talking Bout HOOKING UP and Hanging Out - I'm Just Talking Bout Tonight!!!

Okay, I am watching this show called Hooking Up. It's about online dating. WHich I know something about. I have been on several online dates. Some good, some bad and some REALLY bad.

Let's see... I will only bore you with the bad and REALLY bad. I was emailing with this guy who seemed somewhat interesting. So we decided to go out for dinner. Well, my first clue should have been when I called him before I got to the restaurant and he told me he was wearing a purple t-shirt and a Hawaiian shirt. AUGH!!! So, it went from bad to worse REALLY quick. He started talking about how he collects knives. HMMM - weird, but okay. Then he proceeded to show me the 2 knives he had on his person.

After I drank like 4 pints of beer, it was time to go. We had talked briefly about hashing and then he invited me back to his place to see his KNIFE collection. Hmmmm let me think about that .... ummmmm no. So I went home thinking I was done with this odd ball.

Well, that was until Saturday when he showed up at the HASH!!! AUGH!!! So he introduced him self at circle saying that I made him come!!! AUGH!!!! I did trail with him because he gave me no choice. He told me horrible jokes. Then the hash was over and he left. He emailed me later that day and told me how much fun he had at the hash with me. I promptly wrote him back and told him that it makes me umcomfortable that he showed up at the hash and I would appreciate if he didn't come back. He said that there were plenty of hashes in the area and that we would probably not see each other again. Well, I think explained to him that I do the majority of the groups. I guess he got the hint cuz the knife weilding wierdo never showed up again.

Online dating is like window shopping. You don't really know what you are getting until you actually go in and examine the object.

So the question of the day is this: Is it shallow to pick someone out online and spend so much time communicating prior to meeting and then when you meet you lose interest???

6 Comments:

  • At 7:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You all remember "the guy I'm going to marry" or so I thought BEFORE I actually met him in person? Regardless of whether it's a referral or on-line date, you don't know until you meet them in person. Great conversation and verbal sparks mean nothing if there's no chemistry when you're standing face to face.

     
  • At 7:58 AM, Blogger Heidi Flash said…

    My online dating "events" are not worth conjuring up. YACK! It's amazing how many emails I DON'T get now that I took myself off of the lists!

     
  • At 8:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I am too picky. Remember that guy, Jack...the one who answered my '20 Questions'? I never even met him in person b/c he was too odd.

    Oh, and I went out with this one guy (oddly named Eric) who answered my cell phone when I went to the bathroom (and it was Erik the ex calling to set up our first date). The blind date never even told me the phone rang! I didn't find out until later that he answered the phone and basically hung up on Erik!

     
  • At 10:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    BG - Oops. I guess I had you confused with this guy I had lots of chemistry with...especially after some of Betel's juice!

     
  • At 12:04 PM, Blogger Matt said…

    i dated someone for over 6 months that i basically met over the internet so i can't say much.

     
  • At 12:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    But let me note it wasn't "met over the Internet" in that random sense. It was more like I read your blog for 2 years and commented some, and we never managed to run into each other at football games, and then I finally decided to IM you again.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home